We have searched the world (and the internet) for the best options to offer to our unique customer base and have decided, for now, to focus on three things:
- Affordable bed options – For this, we chose to carry sustainably milled and non-toxic beds and headboards from Dapwood Furniture (based in New Mexico) and universal bed frames from Leggett and Platt with – believe it or not – recycled steel content from the rail industry.
- Healthy nursery furniture – For this, we’ve decided to carry cribs and more from Muu and Kalon Studios. Both of these meet our strict indoor air quality standards, and have gotten a lot of attention for their good looks too!
- Locally-made artisan furniture – While we have always had a few pieces for sale in our store, we have re-established some old relationships and created some new ones to expand our offerings of beds and bedroom furniture and more from local artisans such as Greenwood Bay, Gino Vian, and our newest co-worker, Cooper Meaders.
What makes furniture sustainable?
We prefer to sell furniture that is either made from sustainably milled (using rapidly renewable or well-managed resources) OR made from recycled or reclaimed materials. We also look for products that are made in America by builders who are paid well and treated fairly.
What makes furniture healthy?
You’d be surprised at the chemicals in that couch you take weekend naps on, and you’d be shocked to know what’s off-gassing from the furniture in your bedroom. We sell products that are made from healthy materials (either older materials that have already off-gassed or new materials that have less chemicals to begin with) AND that are finished using low- or no-VOC stains and coatings. This helps to keep the air in your house healthy!
Why buy furniture from New Living?
- Support the local economy
- Support the green economy
- Help feed starving artisans!
- You can trust us to only sell the healthiest, greenest products on the market, and to help you make the best decisions for the health of your family and the planet