I’m not an “overprotective” mom. I’m not a germophobe either. But right now, I’m on high alert for protecting the BLOOD of my 3 children from chemicals and I’m angry. I’m angry that I have to protect them from CHEMICALS at all. I’m angry that I haven’t had easy access to critical information about the products I have been using to feed them, clothe them, clean my home with or sleep on with them. I’m angry that my kids are getting poisoned even though I try my best to keep them safe and keep myself informed.
There is a glimmer of hope though, I believe, because information is getting out and mom’s are taking a stand and getting involved.
They are getting involved right now to help pass a new bill has been introduced in Congress called the Safe Chemicals Act of 2010 that could really make a difference in how we regulate the chemical industry.I am also hopeful because I know a lot more now thanks to groups like Healthy Child, Healthy World, Three Branches Healthy Living, New Living (of which I am partner) Air Alliance Houston, and more. I thought I was doing everything I could by giving birth to them naturally, breastfeeding, and eating a balanced diet. Little did I know……
Here’s the top 5 things I’m pissed about and I’m going to do something about it:
- The BOTTLES I had to use when I had trouble with my milk production were likely leaching toxic chemicals like BPA and phthalates into the milk they were drinking. Read more.
- The PJs they were sleeping in given to me by generous and loving friends and family members were treated with flame retardants that can get into their bloodstream and cause developmental problems. Read More.
- My own BREASTMILK was probably laced with chemicals. In a study done in 2003 women from the U.S. had the highest concentration of FIRE RETARDANTS found in our breastmilk. It was 75 times the average found in European women’s breastmilk. Fire retardants effect human fertility among other things.
- Not to mention the untested, chemicals such as stain proofing or waterproofing on the fabrics in their CAR SEATS or the lead that is in the buckles. Read more and find out what’s in your child’s car seat here.
- The PLAYGROUND. YES. The PLAYGROUND. Laced with pesticides, pressure-treated lumber that leaches arsenic, artificial playing fields made from crushed rubber tired that off-gas VOCs and the list goes on.
Why did those chemical companies get to DUMP THOSE CHEMICALS into everyday household products, into our COMMUNITIES into OUR KID’S BODIES?????? Why haven’t these products been tested or outlawed? Who is studying these chemicals? Who is regulating them? Who is protecting our kids?
VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS AND YOUR TIME.
Here’s 5 things you can do:
- Read the book, Healthy Child, Healthy World, by Christopher Gavigan or Toxic Bedrooms, by Walt Bader to find out more you can do to clean up your home and community.
- Learn about the Safe Chemicals Act of 2010 making its way through Congress right now.
- Pass around this blogpost and tell your friends about how they can get involved, too.
- Contact your legislators about the Safe Chemicals Act.
- Come to New Living’s panel discussion on Wednesday, August 11th from 12 – 1 to learn about how the Safe Chemicals Act will affect our community.
I hope to see you soon. Moms can and will change the world. Even though we’re really busy, and tired, and working….
– Jennifer TouchetShare: